Monday, April 16, 2018

Core Beliefs

When I created this blog, I put down some of my core beliefs-- the things I based my life on. Looking over those thoughts from 2005, I still agree with most. One thing I have noticed is I was a lot more philosophical in writing the blog back then. I think now most of that philosophy goes into my fiction and my blog misses it.




Believing something does not make it so. Disbelieving it won't make it go away-- likewise saying it out loud won't make it happen.

Loving something or someone does not mean I may possess it or them.

Life is based on expectations and judgments, but we should be careful they aren't set in concrete and we are open to readjusting them as we learn new information.

Disappointment happens (usually when we had an unrealistic expectation to begin). Get used to it and deal with it.

Nobody gets it all-- even if it looks like it for awhile.

Physical work is healthy for the body and soul as is a relatively orderly, clean environment in which to live.

Everything has a price of one sort or another attached. I try to always know what it is and whether I am willing to pay it before I enter into any transaction.

Too much arguing isn't healthy. Sometimes it's best to peacefully agree to disagree-- on the other hand, in any relationship, it's important to be able to voice an opinion as well as allow someone else to voice theirs.

Do not wish for the past or the future, while the moment goes sailing by, because the moment is all there is.

Sometimes there are no second chances. Don't count on one. When there is a second chance, be grateful, grab it and hang on for the ride.

Deep friendships, the kind where my friend knows my dark side and I know theirs, and we accept each other anyway, those are important for me. Likewise important are friends who tell me what they see of my flaws and let me do with their opinion what I will.

Be kind whenever possible.

Forget wrongs done without waiting for the offender to admit anything. When I hold a grudge, I hurt myself more than whoever might have wronged me. When I know it's me who made a mistake, be quick to admit it; and when I have wronged someone, ask forgiveness.

Pride can be both a virtue and a sin. It depends on how it's used-- or misused.

Live my own dream-- corollary to that is I must know what it is if I don't want to be living someone else's.

In life there are many options. The things that are worth adding to mine should be those of beauty, truth and/or love.

There are some people who are harmful to quality living, and they are ones from whom I should move away as soon as I realize it.

I can't change someone else. I can try to help others but change comes from inside all of us-- so likewise only I can change me. No outside guru, no things I buy, no person I have as a friend can make me into the person I want to be. Only I can do it-- but others (in the spirit or in the flesh) can help.

Someone else having something does not take it away from me (unless they stole it from me). Be glad for the triumphs of others and the blessings that come into their lives-- even if it happened to be something I wish had happened to me.

Material things don't bring happiness. They can provide pleasures, just never substitute them for more meaningful values which for me are things like love, sharing, giving, receiving, appreciating, and so forth.

Be honest, don't cheat, don't defraud. If I ever must tell a lie (which should be rare), be sure it's really necessary and for a higher purpose as lies always have a cost attached.

Discerning the difference between selfishness and valid self-interest can be a struggle, but it's important in decision-making. Setting healthy boundaries for myself and recognizing those for others makes this easier.

Life is both a mystery and a gift. It is Science and Spirit. Relish the earthly experience while still alive. Be prepared for the need to give it up. Live up to date.

If something definitely isn't working, look for alternatives. Don't hang on out of habit or fear when I know it's a losing proposition-- but don't be too quick to give up either.

Live as honestly and openly to who I am as possible; form relationships based on that because life is too short to have to pretend to be someone I am not.

Do you have core beliefs? Have you ever written them down?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home